Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Rick Warren's About Face

The news is reporting today that Rick Warren on CNN stated that he never endorsed Proposition 8 (about marriage being between a man and a woman) and he has apologized to all his gay friends.

A couple of things. First, though I have read what Pastor Warren said both to his church (encouraging them to support Proposition 8) and what he said on CNN, the fact is that I heard neither of these statements. It is possible that Pastor Warren is being misquoted.

Second, you can withhold support from a measure such as Proposition 8 and still be a Christian. I believe homosexuality is clearly sin according to the Bible but I could possibly see someone not supporting a law that restricts certain behaviors.

Third, it is possible for people to change their mind on issues.

What concerns me (if the quotes are true) is the blatant lie. Pastor Warren (according to the quote) supported the proposition strongly before his church. During the course of the Presidential discussions Warren addressed the issue with both candidates. Even in the Inauguration prayer controversy he never denied his support. Why deny this now?

Is Warren trying to keep the door open to reaching homosexuals? I don't see how lying about your convictions helps you reach anyone. I don't understand how negotiating the truth is going to lead people to Christ. Showing love and respect to people regardless of their sexual preference is something I think the Bible would admonish us to do. What will be next? Will Warren agree to do homosexual weddings?

Is Warren caving in to the limelight? He is a buddy of the President. Is he trying to stay in the inner circle by adopting a politically correct position?

I'm disappointed. If things are as they have been stated, Pastor Warren has compromised the truth. He has let us all down.

Is this the result of the limelight? Warren has been seen as a man on the "inner circle" of people near the President. He is a popular author. Is he tailoring his message to popular opinion? I don't know. What I do know is that this makes me sad.