Friday, March 6, 2009

The bane of technology

I will readily admit that I enjoy things related to the computer. I love updating the website, shopping for books online, reading reviews and much more. I have a page on MySpace and Facebook. I carry a cellphone (most of the time) and use an iPod. I like technology.

Unfortunately, I am finding my time increasingly taken up answering e-mails, uploading broadcasts, and answering requests from Facebook. I am amazing how much time can be spent tracing some thread of information on the Internet. I don't want technology to control my life. That is a job that is reserved for the Lord God Almighty.

Here are some steps I am taking to loosen the grip of technology.
  1. I don't give out my cell phone number.
  2. I have stopped feeling that I had to drop everything to answer the phone. People can leave a message and I will call them back when it is convenient
  3. I have turned my status on Facebook to "offline" permanently so I don't get caught instant messaging with people. Most of the time that is just playful.
  4. I don't text message. I'd rather use full words and talk to people directly.
  5. I will limit my trips to Facebook to no more than once a day. Friend requests and other requests can wait.
  6. I will delete e-mails that aren't personal correspondence or addressing a need I want to address.
If you have some other suggestions I hope you will add them below the post.