Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thank you Mr. Presidents

This has been an eventful week in the USA. The peaceful transfer of power is always quite a spectacular display of democracy and freedom. This week was no exception. I found myself proud of the character displayed by both of this week's Presidents.

First, I sat with admiration as the first person of color was sworn in as the President of the United States. I remember the days of race riots. I remember watching Martin Luther King Jr. walk down a street near our home. At the time I wondered: Why does everyone seem so angry? This last summer we visited the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis. It was a sobering visit. The dream of Martin Luther King Jr. has been realized.

I am proud of President Obama for thanking President Bush for his hard work at making a smooth transition. I am proud that one of his first acts as President was to establish an ethics mandate for his own staff. I am proud he has selected a variety of people to the cabinet. Way to lead by example, Mr. President! It is my prayer that President Obama will continue to lead with wisdom and with the special wisdom that comes from the Spirit of God.

I am also proud of President Bush. Though vilified in the media for four years he held to his principles. Though dismissed during the Republican convention and abandoned by his own party, he remained kind. Though blamed for everything from the missing WMD (that was at least partly his fault) to the economic situation (not really his fault) he did not strike out. He did not blame. Though he was ridiculed on talk shows by people who acted like children, President Bush continued to act like the President. He continued to act honorably. He was gracious to President-elect Obama even though he knew this man opposed many of the things he fought for. I hope both men have as much class as they seemed to have this last week. President Bush kept us safe for eight years. I'm sorry he was not treated with the honor and respect he deserved.

It may seem unusual to express both of these men because they come from different parties and ideologies. However, they both exemplify what is good about the United States of America.

Now, if we could get some work done in the State of Illinois!