Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Shack

While I was away to do a family wedding I read the wildly popular book, The Shack by William P. Young. Because the book is getting a somewhat controversial response from the Christian community I thought I'd add my two cents.

I enjoyed the book and even think I would like to read it again some time. It is important in reading any work of fiction such as this to remember that it is a novel. These things did not really happen. Much of the offense that some may take to the book come because they are reading it as a theology text and not a novel.

The book centers on an encounter that the main character Mack has with the Triune God. Some are offended that God the Father is depicted as a black woman and the Holy Spirit is portrayed as an Asian woman. (The Son is portrayed as a man). Papa (God the Father) explains that He can appear in any form He so desires. In Mack's case, appearing as a Black Woman is non-threatening and therefore more effective.

The depiction of the Trinity is really quite heartwarming. The love and the oneness is quite touching. One of my favorite parts is when they have their "devotions" and the Son expresses his love for the Father.

The book is an easy read . . . but it is deep at the same time. The pictures that are drawn are informed by a pretty solid theology.

The struggle with the problem of evil seemed very honest and insightful. At one point Mack asks if Papa is justifying what happened. Papa responds, "I'm not justifying the situation, I'm redeeming it." That's a very good line.

There was only one spot that troubled me. Papa is explaining to Mack that he is no interested in formal or institutional religion. He tells Mack He is not looking for "Christians" but for those who will enter into a relationship with Him. The author is being careful (chapter 12) but some may conclude that it doesn't matter what you believe. I don't think that is what the author is saying at all. He wants us to understand that it is not a particular dogma that must be believed . . . it is God that must be believed. It is a section open to heretical conclusions.

Other than this I found the book interesting, engaging, enjoyable and also instructive. The pictures explode our stereotypes and I think picture God in a way that invites intimacy and love.

If people read the book and conclude theology doesn't matter; the book has been harmful. I think the message of the book is that theology matters but we must never forget that the purpose of theology is not academic information. The purpose of theology is to lead us into relationship with God. If we understand the book, it is an enriching read.