Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Holiday Blahs

It is common around the holidays for people to feel a sense of the blahs. The weather is often depressing, gift giving has a source of stress, financial demands are oppressive, and activity often seems non-stop. The blahs are the result from this weariness.

I try to keep reminding myself to "just say No!". In order to maintain my focus on what is truly important at Christmas: worship and family, I have to say No to some other things. Those of you who know me know that I could be better in this area of my life. However, I am learning that it really won't matter if I am at every activity or respond to every request. I won't even be missed in most of those situations. However, I will miss out on other things by trying to fulfill every obligation.

Too often Christians seem to feel that every invitation/opportunity has come from the Lord and therefore we must try to meet that responsibility. I think one of the best weapons in the arsenal of Satan is the weapon of "overcommitment" or "busyness". If Satan can keep us so busy running doing "good things" He can keep us away from the one who IS Good.

Enjoy your Christmas and carve out some time to take it all in.
-Bruce