Thursday, September 9, 2010

Burn The Quran? What are they Thinking?

You have certainly read or head the news reports of this 50 member church in Flordia who plans on marking September 11 with a publicity stunt by burning copies of the Quran. It is supposed to be a symbolic gesture of something.

The Pastor and his plans have been condemned by the armed forces, the heads of state and leaders around the world. I guess this Pastor has gotten publicity.

I am concerned about the backlash that may be leveled against Americans overseas. I am concerned about pouring gasoline on terrorist fires. What I am most concered about however is the way such actions distort the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine Jesus, the disciples or the Apostle Paul treating people in such a way. The tactic of Jesus seemed to be to speak the truth but to do so in a loving and embracing way. Christians are seeing Muslim friends come to faith because these Muslim friends witness the love of Christ in the believers themselves.

Like I said, I don't know what this Pastor and his congregation is trying to symbolize in their publicity stunt. What I do know is that it is not the message of Christ.