Thursday, September 10, 2009

Speech on Healthcare

Last night the President spoke to the nation about healthcare reform. To be honest, I did not watch the speech. I seldom watch political speeches because I find them long on rhetoric and short on substance. I prefer to read the highlights in the paper.

Overshadowing anything the President had to saw last night was the outburst of "You lie" from one of the Republican congressman. It was a great breach of protocol. The congressman apologized for his lack of civility.

I am leery about a government designed health care program (especially one that does not address tort reform which drives up costs). However, the Bible is clear that we are supposed to show honor to those in authority over us. I think part of this is showing respect for the person speaking, even if you disagree.

I long for the days when Capital hill was characterized by "statesmen". These were people who debated ideas rather than sought to push through agendas. The uncivil comments in the halls of congress reflect what we are seeing in classrooms, workplaces, and even homes: a lack of honor and respect.

As believers we must lead the way in "giving honor to whom honor is due". For any public debate to be beneficial it must first be civil.